Saturday, May 22, 2010

Pat on my back...

So I totally have to give myself a huge pat on the back. I hit a milestone in sewing. Seriously proud of myself. I've sewn a few things that are difficult (according to me) in the past. But nothing that came without a pattern or instructions.

When we had Aubriana, we were so excited about a girl, we just went all out. We bought a pink car seat with a matching stroller. Ok ok... it was really just on sale and pink, so it worked.

Well, now we are having a boy and Tim cannot bring home his boy in a "pink" car seat! It's illegal. So I was making plans on buying a new one. I was cringing at the prices. I didn't want to have to buy a new one, when I had a perfectly fine one at home already. So my sis-in-law, Lurlyn, told me about some moms who made their own car seat cover. So we got on etsy and I found and bought a tutorial. It totally looked like my seat in the tutorial... it was a graco, how many different graco seats can they have? Well, it didn't work with mine! Yikes! So I decided to just take the plunge and figure it out on my own. I tore the old one apart and used it as a sort of pattern and just went from there. It took me two days (tending to a 2 yr old in between) but I did it! Its nice when my hubby sees it and says how awesome it is. Makes me feel good. :)


So here is the before... pink and dirty, Lol! (i had already started taking it apart before I thought to take a before photo, whoops!)
Before


The after! We refer to Timmy Jr. as "little Tiger" so I found the cute fabric on fabricworm with a coordinating brown. We're big on nick names around here. Aubriana tells everyone she sees, while pointing at my belly, "this is my baby brother tiger." I still need to figure out, tear apart and sew the canopy. Yikes! :)
After

Now I'm off to treat myself to a seriously needed hair cut! I wish I was brave enough to cut it all off. :)

9 comments:

  1. Great job Nicole! It's way cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love love love it Nicole!!! Great job, it is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go, you did an awesome job on that! How did you hair turn out?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow I'm impressed. It looks professional. And I like the fabric a lot more than others I have seen. Good work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Nicole I'm so proud of you and it looks great!!!! Welcome to the world of boys. It's a lot different then girls. Hey by the way I wanted to get your home address. So e-mail me when you get a chance, or send it through facebook. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're AMAZING!!! A-MAZ-ING!!!! I wish I could be even just a little like you. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am incredibly impressed. I won't even sew an apron that's how bad i am. I can't even imagine doing a car seat cover!!!!
    The pics didn't load so I wasn't able to see the before and after, but I'm sure it turned out wonderfully!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so shocked on how "store bought" it looks! You'll have to show me how you did that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job! Best wishes with the new baby! :) <3

    ReplyDelete

Share the knowledge!